Crystal Dynamics Explains Rise of the Tomb Raider Exclusive Debacle
Crystal Dynamics has now explained Square Enix and Microsoft’s Rise of the Tomb Raider Xbox exclusivity deal in FAQ on their official tumblr.
When the game was announced as an Xbox exclusive during Microsoft’s Gamescom conference, this caused a big stir among PS4 and PC fans. The announcement was extremely vague and we knew it would eventually land on PC and PlayStation 4, but we were hoping for a confirmation from the developers & publisher, and now Crystal Dynamics explains it in more detail.
“Yes, our deal with Microsoft has a duration. We aren’t discussing details of the deal, and are focused on delivering a great game on Xbox One and Xbox 360,” the developers assures.
Check out the rest of FAQ‘s below:
- What does exclusive to Xbox mean?
It means that Rise of the Tomb Raider is coming Holiday 2015 exclusively on Xbox One and Xbox 360.
- Does the exclusive to Xbox have a duration? Is it timed? How long is the duration? Can we expect a PlayStation 4 or PC release in the future?
Yes, our deal with Microsoft has a duration. We aren’t discussing details of the deal, and are focused on delivering a great game on Xbox One and Xbox 360.
- Did Crystal Dynamics know about this deal?
Yes, Crystal Dynamics is excited to be partnering with Microsoft to make the best game possible. As Darrell mentioned in his message, we have a long history with Microsoft and they have been a very strong supporter of the franchise. They will help us grow and nurture the Tomb Raider franchise more than ever before.
- Were the fans considered when making this decision? Are Crystal Dynamics and Square Enix aware of the franchise history with PlayStation and on PC?
Of course. We did not make this decision lightly. Our goal is to build the best game that we possibly can, and our relationship with Microsoft will help us realize our vision for the game.
- Why didn’t Microsoft, Square Enix or Crystal Dynamics say upfront it was a timed exclusive? Why all the indirect language?
We certainly didn’t intend to cause any confusion with the announcement. The Microsoft Gamescom stage was a great place to make the initial announcement, but not necessarily to go into details.
So, they failed to confirm PC & PS4 version, The game might release on PC & PS4 after few months of Xbox One/360 versions release.
Rise of the Tomb Raider is due for holiday 2015 release.