Effective Tips on How to Remove Video Metadata
How to Remove Metadata from Video Files
When you work with video online, you should know that files with metadata can give some information about you to someone you may not want to share. Remember that every time when you use the online video editor to correct and modify saved videos, it creates files that contain metadata. In this article, you can find useful tips on how to remove metadata from video files. Get to know how to remove location, title, and other metadata easily on Android, Mac, and Windows.
What Is Metadata?
Metadata isn’t something bad itself, but it may contain information about you, the devices you work at, or your organization. Almost all devices like a personal computer, smartphone, or camera embed metadata automatically in any files they make. Plus, the software includes placeholders for pasting specific types of metadata. For example, even Microsoft Word includes information about the document’s author, the date of creating the file, and revisions or comments.
Here are the main examples of metadata:
- Date and time when the file was created.
- The location or address where the file was made.
- The name, the company’s name, and the computer’s name or its IP.
- The names of those people who have left any comments in the file.
- The type of camera that was used to create a video file, and its settings.
- Make and model of the smartphone.
Of course, some of this metadata cannot cause any damage – in fact, you can embed your name in a video for copyright purposes and make your metadata freely available for everyone. But when you are working with any confidential or sensitive data that includes any metadata, then someone else can use this information.
How to Remove Video Metadata?
Follow some simple steps below to remove video metadata from files you have created, and you can be sure that no one else can use any private information about you, your company, or the device you have used. We suggest trying these simple tips:
- Save the file in a format that doesn’t have or has very limited metadata. This requires converting your video file to another format, so make sure you will not lose the video’s quality.
- To keep your video files free from metadata, use an automatic metadata cleaner. There are many software tools that can identify and remove metadata from video files easily.
- Check the preferences of any device or application you use for editing your videos. The amount of metadata can be changed and limited – you can disable some parameters, for example, geolocation tracking for your phone camera.
- Before you post a video or send it to someone else, think about what may happen if the file contains metadata. It’s important to consider this when you are posting videos to social networks.
How to Remove Metadata from Video Files Windows10?
If you are using a Windows 10 operating system, you can remove metadata from any video file you’re working with on the computer following the steps below:
- Make a right-click of the mouse on the needed video file.
- Go to Properties.
- See if there is metadata you need to remove by selecting the Details tab.
- Click the button Remove Properties and Personal Information.
- Instead of the steps above, you can use a built-in Microsoft app Document Inspector that identifies metadata in a particular file and provides you the option to delete it fully or partially.
How to Remove Metadata from Video Files Mac
Mac users can also remove metadata from video files on their devices. Just follow the next steps to make sure your online confidentiality is on the needed level:
- Go to Preferences – Security – Privacy.
- Find the heading Privacy Options and select Remove personal information from this file on save.
The app Preview on your Mac can show you the metadata of any video file by following these simple steps:
- Go to Preview.
- Select Show Inspector and use the More Info Inspector to view the file’s metadata.
How to Remove Video Metadata Android
Needless to say, location data can be useful when you take your vacation videos, but if you leave this data all the time, someone can use it against you. Follow simple steps on turning off location data on your Android smartphone:
- Open the Camera application.
- Tap the Settings
- Turn off the Location toggle in the Setting menu.
When the location data is turned off, it means that the geotag will not be shown on any future videos you take on your smartphone, that’s why it’s a good idea to make sure the location data is turned off on your camera before you start recording any videos. It’s easier to do it beforehand than to remove it from many videos you have already made.
How to Remove Metadata from Video Linux
Just like on Mac and Windows, you can view the metadata of video files on Linux. You need to double-click and preview the video. This will provide you with basic details like the date and time of creating the file, camera model, and other parameters.
When you work on Linux and want to remove metadata from recorded videos there, we suggest using special tools like ExifTool that can easily modify or delete metadata information for your safety.
In our era of modern technologies, videos appear everywhere. People watch videos more than they read something, so video content has become a popular marketing tool for many people and companies. All in all, people everywhere use the best video encoder software and editors that create metadata. Sometimes, this information can be used against you by cybercriminals, so you have to know how to prevent hackers’ attacks. In our article, we have shared various methods for removing metadata from video files on different devices. Do not forget about your online security and keep your personal data well-protected!