REVIEW: Razer Leviathan 5.1 Channel Surround Sound Bar
On a Saturday night, you set up your huge audio system for another exciting game; all with your console and gaming stuff. If not, perhaps, for a midnight movie. The wires and connectors make quite a mess and you’ve got to test the sound if it really works. Eventually, you do realize how inconvenient it is to set everything up!
If you’re going through the same thing, just like what I had been, you’re probably thinking now of better alternatives – the best equipment that would not take so much time and effort to set up. That’s when I thought how useful and convenient sound bars are. They are wireless, compact, surround but the sound quality’s not compromised.
Choosing the Best Sound Bar for Gaming, Music and Movies
It is difficult at times to choose which type of sound bar you should buy, particularly when you’re planning to use it for gaming and watching movies. Hence, a detailed guideline about sound bars is what you need. To sum it all up for you, here are some reminders you might want to take note of.
- If you need a surround sound for an epic gaming and movie experience, a multichannel or at least five channels is recommended. But if you only need to enhance your TV’s audio, a 2.1 channel sound bar will do.
- It would be better to look for a sound bar that has a lot of available connectivity options. Bluetooth, for example. This connectivity option has been very common and quite popular among sound bars. It provides a wireless music streaming and audio enhancement.
- Sound bars come in different price tags so you definitely need to consider your budget. You may invest a bit on high-end brands. Higher specifications mean higher price. Thus, you need to check carefully the outstanding features of the sound bar you’re planning to buy.
What if your budget limits you at $200 and below? Fret not! You can still find the best sound bar under $200 with all the features you need.
The Razer Leviathan 5.1 Channel Surround Sound Bar
The Razer Leviathan 5.1 Channel Surround Sound Bar provides a 5.1 surround sound which is evidently higher than what other brands could offer. This type of feature is recommended for those who need a better and true-to-life surround audio for gaming and movies. So if you are one of those who are into gaming, binge-watching and movie streaming, this might be a good option for you.
On the other hand, the Razer Leviathan sound bar is commendable for wireless music streaming. However, if you are only looking for that particular use, music streaming, the 5.1 feature would definitely blow you away but might cost you more with its price. Like what I have mentioned earlier, higher specs might be of higher price tag and music streaming won’t need a 5.1 channel sound bar. Needless to say, it is much better to test it for gaming and movies.
The Razer Leviathan 5.1 Channel Surround Sound Bar do impress us with its incredible features. But of course, like any other sound bars, it also has its drawbacks.
|The 5.1 channel provides a true-to-life surround sound for gaming and movies||There are times that the surround sound is not delivered very well|
|It is equipped with cutting-edge Dolby technology that enables the Razer Leviathan to deliver quality surround sound||The subwoofer port seems fragile and the cable tends to get loose at times|
|Provides easy access with its built-in Bluetooth connection||Does not include a remote or mobile app|
|Has a dedicated subwoofer for better reproduction of bass frequencies||No volume indicator|
|Compact and elegant design|
Razer Leviathan 5.1 Channel Surround Sound Bar: Features and Benefits
- Dedicated Subwoofer – The 5.25 downward firing subwoofer dedicated allows the Razer Leviathan to reproduce accurate and distortion-free lower bass frequencies. It is designed to deliver chest-thumping and deep impact bass.
I found the subwoofer one of the highlights of its features that even at the highest volume, the sound does not distort thus deliver a rich and bass-heavy sound. However, with all the focus on the bass frequencies, there are times that the treble tones are not perceptible. I guess this is where the sound bar is lacking. But overall, if you’re a gamer who prefer the deep impact bass, you might love this one.
- 5.1 Channel Surround Sound – The Razer Leviathan is equipped with the Dolby technology which is carved up into three major support – Dolby Virtual Speaker, Dolby Digital AC-3 and Dolby Digital Pro Logic II. With such technology, it allows the sound bar to produce a true-to-life sound experience for those epic in-game battle scenes, movies and upbeat music. The Dolby digital will convert your sound car console or set-top box into an incredible 5.1 virtual surround sound.
This is also another impressive feature about the Razer Leviathan. The surround sound is a real deal as if the battle scenes or gunshots and helicopters are factual. The volume is just enough to fill out a room and quite breathtaking when you’re in front of your computer. But for a larger space such as the living room, the sound gets limited.
- Bluetooth Connectivity – The set-up is easy. You can set it up with a cable for direct connection or through the Bluetooth for a wireless entertainment or streaming. I found it quite versatile as you can have these kinds of connectivity options and these can bring you more convenience.
- Space-saving Design – I like how the design is compact and elegant. It is simple which complements very well with your other home entertainment equipment. It is approximately 20 inches long and actually shorter than any other sound bars. You can place it under your TV or desktop and it would just blend right in.
When you flip it on the other side, you’ll see the subwoofer port and the power supply. These require wired connections. The other controls are on the top and back side. The design shows a subtle look that complement any configuration.
There are some downsides, however. The volume level indicator is not available which might be a bit inconvenient if you want to adjust the settings.
- 3 Tuned Equalizer Settings – As the Razer Leviathan is designed for a quality surround sound for gaming, music and movies, the tuned equalizer settings for these entertainment options are programmed. I think it is pretty easy to control that with just one push, you can opt for the mode where the virtual surround sound should be used.
Want to know more about the Razer Leviathan 5.1 Channel Surround Sound?
- Can I use it with an Android device? Yes, definitely. The Razer Leviathan includes an NFC wireless connection that also works like a Bluetooth and allows you to connect with your Android device.
- Does it come with a remote control? No, the remote control is not included.
- Can I connect it via USB? Unfortunately, there is no option for USB connection. However, there are other options where you can set it up. It is compatible with AUX, optical and Bluetooth.
- Does it also work using batteries? No, it doesn’t. It needs to be plugged into an outlet for it to function. It is charged using a cable or a wall plug.
Considering the price and performance, the Razer Leviathan 5.1 Channel Surround Sound is pretty impressive. If you are a gamer and opt for true-to-life surround sound, you will probably love this sound bar. I think the bass is a great feature and one of its highlights but if you prefer more treble tones, you might think that the bass would be overwhelming. But then again, the bass adds depth to the sound and really delivers chest-thumping sounds. If you prefer that kind of experience, then you can consider the Razer Leviathan as your next sound bar.
The downsides about this sound bar is that the remote control is not included or any mobile app to control the settings. The subwoofer does its job quite well as the sounds maintain its quality even at the highest volume without any distortion. I just thought that the subwoofer port could’ve been stable enough. However, for the overall performance, the Razer Leviathan is affordable with its price and one of the best sound bars to consider for gaming and movies.