Ridiculously Expensive BeoLab 90 Speaker by Bang & Olufsen
BeoLab 90 is a powerful digital loudspeaker built for optimum precision in sound, and featuring 18 state-of-the-art loudspeaker drivers placed in carefully defined locations and directions to deliver maximum performance
- Active Room Compensation:
- This technology secures a uniform sound experience in selected listening positions/zones, in practice by actively adapting the speaker output to compensate for poor room acoustics.
- Beam Width Control:
- Makes it possible to alter the width of the sound beam between ‘narrow’, ‘wide’ and ‘omni’, optimized respectively for ‘sweet spot’ listening, ‘large area’ listening and ‘360 degree’ listening.
- Beam Direction Control:
- A technology that makes it possible to direct the sound beam from the speakers in any given direction
- The Intelligent Loudspeaker
- BeoLab 90 contains a multitude of technologies. It´s a perfect mix of world-class design and acoustics. This highly intelligent loudspeaker provides you with clarity, range, and a sound staging that is second-to-none. BeoLab 90 features an impressive 360-degree design and a variety of settings to give you mind-blowing sound, regardless of its placement, the room, or your listening position.
- The Speaker, Not The Room, Defines The Sound
- Resonances in your room, and boundary effects from your walls, affect the sound you get from your loudspeakers. BeoLab 90 is fitted with Bang & Olufsen’s new Active Room Compensation technology that makes up for the impact of your room, your furniture, the placement of the loudspeakers, and the location of the listening position. This advanced technology guarantees you get a sensational sound experience, exactly where you want it.
- A Powerhouse
- BeoLab 90 has 18 state-of-the-art Scan-Speak loudspeaker drivers placed in carefully defined locations and directions to deliver maximum performance in frequency, time and space. The loudspeaker packs a combination of 14 channels of the latest generation ICEpower amplifiers – a compact and highly efficient platform developed by Bang & Olufsen – and four additional class D amplifiers – all customized for BeoLab 90s specific requirements. In total, the amplifiers can deliver up to 8200 watts per loudspeaker.
- Control Width And Direction Of The Sound
- Reflections from your room’s surfaces affect your listening experience by altering both the tonal balance and the precision of the placement of instruments and voices. With Beam Width Control you get the power to ensure that these reflections do not interfere with the experience when you sit in the sweet spot. Invite friends to join you, and you can widen the beam to ensure that everyone shares the same sound. The beam can even be expanded to provide full 360º dispersion, if you are hosting a party. BeoLab 90 delivers the sound where you want it. With loudspeaker drivers placed in various directions, you can use the Beam Direction Control to steer the sound radiation to your favourite listening location. These groundbreaking new Bang & Olufsen technologies will give you an experience you get nowhere else.
- Technology Made Simple
- Control the settings of your BeoLab 90 by using the Bang & Olufsen remote or by using the dedicated app on your phone. It is easy to control the beam width and direction. In addition, you can pre-program all of BeoLab 90’s features, and save presets that best suit your preferences for different occasions. These presets can also be automatically selected by your Bang & Olufsen television, or triggered by devices connected to BeoLab 90´s many inputs.
- Form Follows Function
- BeoLab 90 is designed according to the overall idea that form follows function. The loudspeaker driver positions and orientations are defined by the acoustical requirements. The placement of the cooling fins for the electronics was chosen to ensure that the rising heat could have no impact on the sound experience. The design is based on a complex aluminium cabinet totalling more than 65 kg, so the structure is rock solid. In a subtle contrast to the massiveness of the loudspeakers, the outer ‘skin’ is made of acoustically transparent fabric, stretched like sails hovering in front of the driver units. The curved wooden base visually lifts the large structure from the floor, making BeoLab 90 appear to float in your home.
- Creating The Future Of Sound
- A floor speaker with the size and complexity of BeoLab 90 is quite something to manufacture. The top tower is cast in 10mm thick plastic, and the main cabinet is solidly cast in aluminium. These are fitted together and all the amplifiers and drivers are mounted, software is installed and as the last step, the ‘naked’ loudspeaker is clad in the semi transparent fabric and the aluminium crowns are fitted. Nobody said it should be easy to build the world’s most advanced loudspeaker.
- Combine And Integrate
- BeoLab 90 can be used in conjunction with many different Bang & Olufsen products to create the perfect setup for your home environment.
- Beosound Essence
- BeoSound Essence is a one-touch music control to hang on your wall or place wherever you need it. It is designed to let you control your music in the simplest way imaginable.
- Beolink Multiroom
- BeoLink Multiroom unites your Bang & Olufsen products into one liberating wireless system. Play different music in different rooms or let one tune flow throughout your home. Just touch your Bang & Olufsen product to instantly join the music stream, or control the experience from your mobile phone.
- Frackenpohl Poulheim
- Wireless Input (Master and Slave speaker)
- Wireless Power Link (24 bit / 48 kHz)
- WiSA (24 bit / 96 kHz)
- Analogue Input (Master speaker)
- Power Link
- XLR (fully balanced)
- Digital Input (Master speaker)
- USB Audio (24 bit / 192 kHz)
- S/P-DIF (24 bit / 192 kHz)
- Toslink (24 bit / 96 kHz)
- Digital Input (Master and Slave speaker)
- Digital Power Link (24 bit / 192 kHz)
- Amplifiers – custom designed for BeoLab 90
- For tweeters: 7 x Bang & Olufsen ICEpower AM300-X
- For midrages: 7 x Bang & Olufsen ICEpower AM300-X
- For woofers: 3 x Heliox AM1000-1
- For front woofer: 1 x Heliox AM1000-1
- Speaker Drivers
- Tweeter: 7 x Scan-Speak Illuminator 30 mm
- Midrange: 7 x Scan-Speak Illuminator 86 mm
- Woofer: 3 x Scan-Speak Discovery 212 mm
- Front Woofer: 1 x Scan-Speak Revelator 260 mm
- Digital Signal Processor
- DSP type: 2 x Analogue Devices ADSP-21489 – 450 MHz
- Sampling rate: 192 kHz fixed
- Width: 73.5″
- Height: 125.3″
- Depth: 29.40″
- Unit: 302.03 lbs
- Shipping: 325 lbs