Steam Controller Got New Features in Update
Valve today released a new update for the Steam beta client that, among other things, introduces new features for the Steam Controller. One of these is the ability to create multiple configurations and then switch automatically (via Kotaku).
Today’s update also fixes the Steam Controller horizontal invert setting not working when using a mouse joystick and clears out a problem related to some games not applying the right controller settings.
There are also some new SteamVR-specific changes included with the update.
Steam Beta March 11 Patch Notes:
- Emoticons show up now in Big Picture
- Added user-definable action sets for legacy games.
- Users can now add additional action sets with their own sets of bindings. Action sets can be added/deleted/named as appropriate and selected via a binding. Note that unlike mode-shifts, action sets completely replace all currently active bindings, and can have their own mode shifts and so forth.
- Added New Controller Action binding types which will expand in the future with bindings that are not specific to the game, but rather higher level, as noted below.
- Added Change Action Set Binding – sets the action set to the next or a specified action set when used.
- Added Show Keyboard Binding – shows the on-screen keyboard
- Added Take Screenshot Binding – takes a screenshot
- Removed hardcoded desktop keyboard shortcut (stick click) and replaced it with controller action binding in the default desktop configuration.
- Fixed some cases of non-steam games not applying controller settings. Ensure that the “Allow Launchers” option is off for this to take effect.
- Fixed controllers not turning off on Suspend power mode in Desktop mode which could cause zombie controllers to be seen over wireless
- Fixed Horizontal Invert setting not working on Mouse Joystick
- Automatically launch SteamVR after it finishes updating
- Added the SteamVR tool in the SteamVR section in the Library view
- Added SteamVR to the jump list options
- Improved scrolling when using the touchpads in the Steam interface while in your HMD
- Fixes for URL entry in the big picture
Check out the unboxing video below.