Trucking With Friend in American Truck Simulator’s New ‘Convoy’ mode
The multiplayer update announced is now live.
SCS Software announced back in May that Euro Truck Simulator 2 and American Truck Simulator would be getting multiplayer mode so you can play in friends, it will come in the form of Convoy Mode, which will let up to eight players hit shared virtual roads. After a couple of months of “experimental” open beta, it is here now to take your place in that big ol’ online convoy.
Convoy mode grants players the ability to build and host private online trucking sessions with synchronized traffic, time, weather conditions, and even the capacity to take on the exact jobs. As SCS originally revealed, it’s capped at 8 digital drivers, but the plan is to expand that number in the future: Right now they’re keeping it comparatively small because even though it’s live now, the mode is still a work in process.
Session hosts will have complete control over their online environment and start those who need kicking, while players can browse and filter sessions based on what they’re involved in doing. Naturally, rig-to-rig communications are supported through CB radio broadcasts, fast replies, or normal text chat. Players who run into difficulty during an online session will be able to return to a save file made before entering the session, so profile progress won’t be wasted because of a server crash or something else.
There are however some limitations and features that haven’t yet been completed:
- Mods in Convoy mode are not supported in the initial release.
- AI vehicles might disappear when a player disconnects.
- Lifting bridges are not synchronized. They will be stationary for the initial release of Convoy.
- When using an owned trailer, there might be a company trailer spawned in the same location you are supposed to go to load your cargo.
- Steam invites work only through the Steam overlay.
- CB radio broadcast (hotkey “X”) interferes with the text input line.
- The on-screen map in Convoy “M” zooms out together with chat scrolling in the Route Advisor.
“From friends to VTC’s, we are excited to see how you will enjoy Convoy and we look forward to hearing your constructive feedback on this new online feature,” SCS said.
The 1.41 “Convoy” update is live now in American Truck Simulator. It isn’t currently available in Euro Truck Simulator 2, but should be coming very soon: SCS is going to stream ETS2 Convoy action tomorrow, July 15.
The update also takes about the first steps in a planned reskin of California, adds new time and weather control options to the photo mode, expands the map legend, and more—complete details are available on Steam.